How Ping of Death attack works?
Not all computers can handle data larger than a fixed size. So, when a ping of death packet is sent from a source computer to a target machine, the ping packet gets fragmented into smaller groups of packets.
One fragment is of 8 octets size. When these packets reach the target computer, they arrive in fragments. So, the target computer reassembles the malformed packets which are received in chunks. But, the whole assembled packet causes buffer overflow at the target computer.
This buffer flow often causes the system crash making the system more vulnerable to attack.
Once the system becomes more vulnerable to attack, it allows more attacks like the injection of a trojan horse on the target machine.
A simple tutorial on how to perform DoS attack using ping of death using CMD:
Disclaimer: This is just for educational purposes. It’s nothing great but you can use it to learn.
Here are the steps:
- Open Notepad
- Copy the following text on the notepad
ping <IP Address> -l 65500 -w 1 -n 1
In the above command, replace <IP Address> with an IP address.
- Save the Notepad with any name. Let’s say
- Right click on the and click on rename.
- Change the extension from .txt to .bat
- So, now the file name should be
- Double click on it and you will see a command prompt running with a lot of pings.